I was literally lying in bed and felt this thing crawling on my face..and so I put my hand up to wipe it away and it turned out it was a Texas Bark Scorpion! Yikes! So it ends up stinging my finger and in two places near my right eye! Ok now I have never been stung by a scorpion before (had my run-ins with scorpios lol..but that's another story), and especially not on my face. This hurts like hell! I was screaming and my sister trapped it under a cd case holder. So meanwhile my face feels like someone is stabbing me..right near my eye and I had a little bit of sunburn from my CO trip so it hurt even more. I started hyperventilating and getting a fever, my throat felt like it was closing up..and my face felt like it was going numb. It was pretty awful. When we looked up online what to do about it..there wasn't a whole lot of help other than use cold-compresses on the spot and maybe some pain meds and if the reaction is severe to go to the hospital emergency room. Well then it said this can last for 3 days or more this pain and I was not up for that. When I read online that for every 1 person that dies of a snake bite 10 die from scorpion bites I was not too thrilled to hear that.
Upon being stung by a bark scorpion here are the most common symptoms:
- Immediate intense burning pain at the site of the sting
- Usually minor swelling, but always with extreme pain when the area is tapped with a finger
- Pain radiating into the body, especially the armpits and groin near lymph nodes
- Agitation and hypertension may lead to involuntary muscle jerking
- Slurred speech, drooling, facial muscle twitching, erratic eye movement
- A feeling of a swollen tongue, numbness of the skin on the face
- Abdominal pain and difficulty breathing, with respiratory arrest a common cause of death, if it occurs.
So this is what I did that literally took away the pain and allowed me to get some sleep finally in about an hour. My intuition told me I needed to get the poisonous venom out of my system and fast. So what I did was had my sister get me some cold-pressed coconut oil. I did an ancient yogic technique called oil pulling and used some Eucalyptus essential oil 6 drops on the place where I was stung on my face it burned like hell for a little while and then added 6 drops to my coconut oil mixture and I began swishing very rapidly the oil back and forth in my mouth and then after about 2-3 minutes I would spit it out and take another tablespoon of oil and swish it back and forth rapidly. I did this about 4 times and each time spit out the oil. My tongue began going numb but my face pain started to subside so I believe that I was somehow drawing the poison out of my blood stream through the oil in my mouth and then spitting it out. It was pretty incredible I went from being in complete and total pain and sickness to being practically fine within about an hour.
There was no major swelling at the pain site but the stabbing painful feeling was extreme, kind of felt like 1000 fire-ants bit me in the same location at once it was awful. I've never experienced that before. Also I think the Eucalyptus essential oil helped because it's a natural pain reliever. So that's how I survived the scorpion bites. See the steps below.
Steps: Natural Remedy to Deal with a Scorpion Sting (bite)
1) DON'T PANIC!! Get a cold wash cloth and some ice to place on the site where you've been stung the cold will help calm the pain a little bit while you get your supplies
2) Get a cold-pressed oil such as extra virgin coconut oil, sesame oil, safflower/sunflower oil and a spoon.
3) Put 1tb of the oil in your mouth and swish it back and forth rapidly almost like mouthwash..and spit into a bowl or toilet.
4) If you have available add 5-6 drops of essential oil to the oil that you're using in oil pulling such as tea tree, peppermint, or eucalyptus..all of these act as a natural pain reliever.
5) Continue the oil pulling and swishing for up to one hour or until the pain subsides..also try applying some of the essential oil a few drops directly or on a carrier oil to the spot where you were stung..please note this may hurt worse for a few minutes until it sinks in or burn.
6) Continue applying cold compresses..take a natural aspirin if you have one like willow bark..vitamin C can also help. and try not to panic or breathe too fast. Also if you have extracts from natural root beer this can also help with antihistamine reaction!
Hope this helps anyone else out there who gets stung..I know how awful it is!
Post down below in the comments what you did when you were stung or if this remedy worked for you as well. Please share this on your twitter, facebook, digg etc. and join my mailing list if you're not already on it!